Painting a Pew

Our home is a dark red (almost brown) brick with a large front porch. I knew I wanted church pews for that porch and I got two beauties out of my parents collection.

They have so much detail and style. Of course they are old and were missing some of the detail but still A-mazing!

There was one thing about them though that just didn't work... They blended in with the brick wall... Almost exactly the same color!

I love antiques and "original paint" can be valuable, so I rejected the idea of painting them for at least two years. This inspiration picture kept calling to me though:
Inspiration photo from Pinterest  (no original link found)

One day, I had a sample paint jar from Lowe's in my hand and I just felt the need to try it.


I stepped away and when I looked back at the porch I was smitten.
Left side ~not painted... Right side ~ painted!

What a difference! I could really see that the pews were not even visible from the road in their original color and the white just POPPED! 

I wasn't (and still am not) sure if I wanted full coverage or just a smattering of coverage with the original red showing through. 

My mama gave me great advice (as usual) and said I should live with it for a year and see how I like it with the minimal coverage. I could easily add another coat later if I felt it was needed it.










LINK PARTIES:

 A Delightsome Life's Home and Garden Thursday 
Share it One More Time at Shabbyfufu
Making Broken Beautiful at The Curator's Collection
Sweet Inspiration at The Boondocks Blog

Labels: