Small Changes

Most all of our light fixtures are the oil bronze color, which has been in style for the last few years. While I do think it is pretty, I prefer a lighter, more cottage-y look. 

Existing curtain rods and dining room light fixture in oiled bronze

While I was painting the living/dining/entry walls, I gave the oil bronze curtain rods the spray paint treatment and it made such a difference!
Spray painted curtain rods - Antique white Rustoleum

Our living room does not have a ceiling light but there is a gorgeous light fixture in the dining area. I'd like to paint it but that's a project for another day.

I thought an easy update would be to just remove the glass shades, but that didn't work. The glare from the bare bulbs was horrible. And they didn't look anything like candles like I had hoped they would.

When I came across this picture on Pinterest I fell in love with the green lamp shades and knew what I needed to do!
I was unable to find the original owner of this photograph. If you know it, please let me know so I can give credit!


I searched online for colorful lampshades but found out they were out of my budget. So when I found some similar shades at Lowe's in beige, I decided to get them and paint them. 


I already had some green paint so I watered it down very thin and lightly painted the fabric. 

Not as bright as the inspiration but not bad!

I thought I might add some beads or fringe at a later date, but I was too excited to wait. The paint was very thin and dried almost instantly, so I quickly put them on to see what they looked like.

I had a big smile on my face as I placed them onto the bulbs one by one. 
And that shadow casting on the ceiling! *swoon*

LINK PARTIES:
Share your cup Thursday

Colorful DIY Projects


*Lowe's is in no way affiliated with this blog.

Labels: , ,